Tuesday, December 2, 2008

A Lovely Lunar Delight

Yesterday was just one of those days where I hated New York. Everything about it was awful. I left work--at 4pm--feeling absolutely tired. All I wanted to do was go home and just be lazy, but I needed to first stop by the library, try to attend Winter Eve Fest at Lincoln Square, make a quick detour into Fairway for some groceries, and hopefully see the moon in its crescent shape along with the two bright "stars" of Venus and Jupiter.

But, alas, none of it would go as planned. First the one train was not running because someone was running around on the tracks. So I walked to the B/D train on Sixth Avenue and 23rd street. When I got to the library, the book that was being held for me--because I had returned it a week ago with a sentimental bookmark still in it--did not have the bookmark still in it. Feeling dejected about that, I headed outside, hoping I could at least see the moon, even though seeing stars in the city is practically impossible. I must've been in the wrong part of the city because I couldn't see the moon, and couldn't tell which way I needed to be facing to actually see it. Too many tall buildings. I was now doubly dejected, thinking how much I hated the city and it's tall building and city lights. I no longer felt the need to stand out in the cold for Winter Eve Fest, so I just walked on up Broadway to Fairway to get a few items. Of course they were busy, as always, with about five bajillion people in a store with little tiny aisles and maze-like walkways. I waited in a long line for three items, all the while increasing my hate for the city and all its people who need to buy groceries. I thought that at least when I got off the subway at my stop I would possibly be able to see the moon, since there are less tall buildings. No. No moon.

By now I was completely bummed, and completely absorbed in my hate for the city and how much it makes me walk and tires me out. So right then and there I decided to go my favorite deli, the Nadal Deli, and get a sandwich. It's something that I love in New York and I wanted it to erase my hateful feelings. Mission accomplished.

And today, since I had the day off, I went around the city doing a few things (which I will blog about later). And it just so happened that when I turned onto Broadway around 122nd street I looked up and saw the crescent moon in the twilight sky! What luck! I could barely make out the two bright spots of Venus and Jupiter, and knew that if I just waited a little bit til the sky got darker I'd be able to see it better. So I sat myself down on a bench in the middle of Broadway and waited. And boy was it worth it! The moon and the two planets looked beautiful in the dark blue sky; all of them shone so brightly. I'm a sucker for the moon and the feelings it evokes--feeling small in this huge universe and yet also like you're a part of something bigger.

This picture in no way does it justice, but just as I was getting ready to cross the street and get something better some clouds covered up the moon. I waited for the clouds to continue moving, but they never did and I needed to get going. But man, was it breathtaking.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com