Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A Train by Any Other Name...

Today I finally got to ride TRAX to work. For those not familiar, TRAX is Salt Lake's subway. Except it's above ground, and only has two separate lines--one running north/south and the other east/west (with other lines in the planning stages). So it's not nearly as extensive as other metro services, but for Salt Lake, and for this girl spending time here, it serves its purpose.

What I love about being in New York is that I'm connected to everything. I can walk out my apartment building and be just a short walk to the nearest subway, which then connects me to everything. I never have to worry about how I'll get somewhere; I know that by subway, bus, taxi or sidewalk I can get there. This is less true here in Salt Lake, where everything is much more spread out and therefore much more dependent on cars to get you from A to B. It has been a very hard adjustment for me, having to rely on other people to drive me around, get me to work on time, pick me up from work, take me to the store. It's quite the change to my independent and self-reliant ways I've learned in New York.

And that's why it felt so good to be standing at the TRAX station, standing in the 16 degree cold, waiting for the train to come. It felt good sitting there, next to strangers, just reading my book and enjoying the scenery. One thing I do love is the openness of TRAX and that I get to see the mountains and sky while riding. When I was waiting for the train at Trolley Square to come home I could see the lights of the city and cars against the backdrop of a pink and purple setting sun in an open sky. It seemed to be the perfect embodiment of me.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com