Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Grant and Bryant



Did you know that General Grant is buried in New York? And it's not far from where I live. Since I had the day off (the Crew is getting short on hours...something about a bad economy...) I decided I would spend it doing some cool things in New York. Some people like New York because of its nightlife, or its fashion scene, or the places to eat, or its school offerings. I like New York because it's old and has so much history. Question: Why didn't I major in history? (a: because I was lazy in college!) So I'm taking full advantage of my opportunities to see history while I'm here.

General Grant was a rather interesting figure in history. While being a great General in the Civil War, almost single-handedly turning it around in favor of the North, he was a not so celebrated President. It was plagued with scandals and other misfortunes, but did have some distinguishing marks, such as signing the bill that created Yellowstone National Park and the ratifying of the Fifteenth Amendment. He was an interesting character, having battled alcoholism and becoming bankrupt after his presidency while in New York. I'd definitely like to read a biography about him.



It's officially called Grant's Tomb, and it really is quite remarkable looking. It's technically a mausoleum, and it was modeled after those of Napoleon and some other famous dead people I was not familiar with. I didn't take any pictures inside because it seemed wrong.

I'm such a sucker for these historical sights.





And then I was off to Bryant Park to see the lighting of their Christmas Tree. For those who don't live in the city, the Rockefeller Christmas Tree is the most well-known, but there are lots of other trees in the city. It wasn't too cold of a night, and probably not nearly as crowded as it will be tonight at Rockefeller Center. The tree is beautiful, although I do like mulitcolored lights more. But it was a great way to feel festive and partake in all that the city has to offer.

So this is the tree before it was lit...

And after.
And here I am with the tree. I'm also a sucker for Christmas Trees.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com