Friday, November 7, 2008

Subways and Street Names

The Tribeca Film Institute moved offices this week. It used to be right at the tip of TriBeCa (Triangle Below Canal street), but it came time to merge the offices that were working in a separate building. Since our office was smaller we moved into theirs....on Spring Street, which is not even in TriBeCa! It's in SoHo (South of Houston--pronounced how-ston)! But the main main Tribeca offices, the one that Bobby DeNiro and Jane Rosenthal would most likely go to, is on Greenwich (pronounced Gren-ich) Street, which is in TriBeCa.

So I now take a different subway to work. But a different subway means a different part of town. When I first got out of the subway Wednesday morning I was a little turned around. I wasn't sure which way was uptown and what was East because I couldn't see the Empire State Building. SoHo isn't a part of the city that I go to a lot; the streets aren't numbered down there so instead you get names like Broome, Chrystie, Grand, Centre, Prince, Spring, Mercer, Greene, Walker. But it's fun; I like exploring different neighborhoods of the city that I wouldn't normally go to if it wasn't for work. The streets are small and cobble-stoned. There's tons of shopping choices, from Armani to Zara. There's little delis and eateries but hardly any chain restaurants.



Yesterday for lunch I spent my time just walking around in a huge square to get a feel for the area. And I got a feel for which streets run up/downtown and which ones run east/west. And if I can see the Woolworth building then I know which way is downtown.

New York's great like that--every neighborhood is different but it's all New York.

1 comments:

jeff said...

Armani to Zara. Very clever, I like it.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com