Sunday, November 23, 2008

A Little Bit of Holland in New York

Our stake was lucky enough to have a bonus stake conference this Sunday as Elder Jeffrey Holland from the Twelve was visiting the area for a training session with New York bishops and presidents. Since our stake center isn't big enough to hold everyone, and the chapel that is big enough is still under renovations, and we already experimented with having our Stake Conference recorded and aired live at all the chapels in the city, the president wanted us to have a place where we could all meet together as a stake for Elder Holland's visit. They found a beautiful playhouse used by one of the colleges in the city, called Hammerstein Ballroom, that had great balconies and a fabulous rotunda. No chandelier though, but Elder Holland still said he felt like screaming out "Christine" (from Phantom of the Opera) and that this was the closest he would ever get to starring in anything off-Broadway--and that because of that the Lord most definitely answers our prayers. It certainly elicited a great laugh from the congregation.

I can definitely see why it was so important to have us meet together as a stake. It was a great moment and a great message and it makes us feel more unified when we can all meet in the same physical space. It even felt a little bit like attending General Conference at the old Tabernacle. More just the feeling of the grandness of the place and the meeting of members. There was no pipes or organ, just a keyboard that I assume had an organ setting because it sounded very much like an organ.

The music for the meeting was provided by the Stake Children's Choir and it was beautiful. You just can't help but smile after hearing kids sing. And they were all so reverent. Its when I see kids that I think about my nieces and nephew and how much I miss them.

Elder Holland spoke after the kids sang "I am a Child of God," and made a comment that they are proof as to why we are so protective of marriage and families. His words really struck me and helped endorse what I had been learning. He spoke for quite awhile, with no notes, about many things. The children being helped to the stage made him remark that through all our life, from nursery to the temple, we have people helping us. He said that we are a Church of happy endings and safety is our promise. He said God speaks through his prophets and told a great story about President Hinckley and how he worked up until his last days, and that everything he did was for us. He said we need to hunker down in our boats when times are hard and turn to the Savior. And he ended with giving a blessing to all, the men, women, children, everyone in the stake.

Afterwards we waited in line to be able to shake his hand. Rosemary's friend from Italy, Aline, would use Elder Holland's words on her mission to convert people. He is her favorite Apostle and she really wanted to meet him. I was trying to explain to her that it must've been fate, destiny that the two of them would be in New York at the same time. She didn't understand the word kismet, so I explained it by saying it was 'written in the stars' and she really like that. Elder Holland was very gracious with all the people who wanted to meet him, hugging some and touching others faces. When I got my turn I thanked him for coming, and he said I was as cute as the flower I was holding (on a day that I hadn't washed my hair!) and that he hoped I had a good Thanksgiving.

It was really a great meeting, and it's moments like these that I feel truly grateful to be where I am. Being a member here feels so much different than being a member in Utah. Plus, I ran into a girl that I graduated high school with who is now living here as her husband attends medical school. Sometimes it really is a small world.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com