Monday, November 3, 2008

The Facts are These:

Exactly one year, 62 days and twelve hours ago (give or take a couple hours) I moved to New York City. I made it here in a Penske truck with my mom and sister...and all my stuff.

I moved into an apartment with one Maria Wilson and one Rosemary Demos. Neither was known before the move, but had been found through an LDS Housing list for people moving to the big city and looking for roommates/housing. I met both of them on moving-in day and feel very lucky and blessed to have gotten two roommates that I completely love, enjoy, get along with, laugh with, understand.

Maria dates one Mark Mason, aka Marky Mark. Apart from getting me a job at the Crew, I totally love this guy. Maria and Mark are amazing people and always invite me to do things with them. I can't imagine my New York experience without them; they shared their Thanksgiving with me, celebrated my first away-from-home Christmas with a traditional outing to a movie, kissed me on New Year's Eve, experience "The Godfather" with me, introduced me to Settler's of Cataan, share their gourmet home-cooked meals with me, and talked me into staying in the city when I felt like leaving. They are kind, funny, thoughtful, loving, giving, and truly my best friends in the city.

Rosemary was gracious enough to take me to church and introduce me to people when I first got here. I honestly never would've made it without her and her genuine kindness. We can stay up late talking about anything and she's a great listener. She's owns the most book of any one I know (she's getting her Doctorate in Comparative Literature) and hosts Literary Salons. She also speaks Italian as she served her mission in Italy--one of my favorite places when I went to Europe.

I currently work at the Crew and intern two days a week with the Tribeca Film Institute. I've also worked at Wal-mart in New Jersey (transferred there from Utah but quit after a week), as a temp receptionist at a financial company in the heart of the Financial District (I could see the Statue of Liberty from the main window), as an Office Manager for Guardian Entertainment (which sounds cool, but it was really just me sitting in a windowless office with people who had no real intentions of making movies...and had huge legal problems as a result of some shady bank deal they made), and as a Projection Booth Liaison for the Tribeca Film Festival (which was the best work experience I've ever had in the movie business). Who knows what the future holds...

I attend one of four Single's Wards in Manhattan. My first calling was as a Ward Institute Representative but am now the head of the Compassionate Service Committee. My ward is amazing and full of super talented people; you should hear our congregation when we sing the hymns in sacrament.

So that's my life so far for those new to the blog (my mom and dad were both supposed to give this to aunts, uncles and cousins). If any family members have a blog as well let me know and we can all stay connected!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com