Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After

Riding the subway and going to work this morning felt different. And not just because the Tribeca offices have moved and I now take a different subway to work, but that the whole world feels different. If feels like a better place. Maybe it's because I live in Harlem. But I just felt different riding the subway.

I was walking down the subway steps when I overheard two girls talking, saying something about, "She's white and we're Puerto Rican, that's why." Now, I have no idea what their actual conversation was about, having just heard that little snippet. But the guy walking down the stairs next to me, who was black, was saying he was amazed people could talk like that after what happened last night. He said everything's different after last night. And I couldn't help to think that everything is different. And for the better. Isn't that amazing? It's something I don't know I could really feel the weight of if I was living in Utah. But here, being surrounding by so many people that were deeply affected, and hopefully positively impacted in the near and distant future, by last night's outcome, it feels so powerful. It really is a whole new world.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com