Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Exercisin' My Right: Part II

For this historic election I wanted to go somewhere to watch it with a crowd, like Times Square or Rockefeller Center. But none of the exciting stuff was going to happen til way later in the night, as polls in western states closed, and I was off at four and didn't want to hang around outside doing nothing (because if I did I knew I'd spend money on either food and/or something stupid, and since I don't have any money, I thought it best to just go home). And even though I wanted to just home to change, grab a light jacket and some food then head down later, that didn't happen; cuz once I get home way uptown I don't feel like going back out.


And then ABC announced, rather climactically and sort of out of the blue after stating they would not project a winner until 270 electoral votes had been awarded, that Obama had won California and they were projecting him the winner! The tv quickly went to shots of the crowds in Chicago, Times Square and 125th Street in New York--the heart of Harlem. And that's where I wanted to be. Since I also live in Harlem, I wondered if my neighborhood was celebrating. I looked out the window and couldn't see anyone celebrating. So I opened the window and was overcome by noises of shouting and hollering and people clapping and banging on pots and pans! It was more exciting than New Years, and way more jubilant! Marky Marky, Rosemary and I hung out the window and hollered and celebrated with our neighbors. Mark even got a pan and we banged it outside the window with an ice cream scoop. People on the street would run up to their friends and hug them and rejoice. And two little girls, in pink coats, ran down the street smiling and laughing, excited for what had happened. At that moment I was excited for them and what had been accomplished in their lifetime. They could now grow up in a society that had elected an African-American to the Presidency. Thrilling. And that is why I love living in New York City.
(Pictures of people celebrating in Times Square and Harlem)

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com