Saturday, November 1, 2008

Great Salt Lake

When you work at a retail establishment like I do (does anyone reading this not know that I work at J Crew? Well, I do), you tend to hear the same songs over and over, day after day. And after so long the songs just sort of run together and you forget that they're even being played. I must admit, though, that the Crew has a fairly decent playlist, unlike Wal-mart. So we get Jason Mraz, Feist, old-school Madonna, some classic 80's songs like The Promise and Huey Lewis and the News with Private Eyes (clap,clap), and other cool songs that I neither know who sings or what their title is. We're also subjected to some awful songs, too, though, and those are always the ones you seem to hear the most.

A couple weeks ago somebody asked me if I heard the song that says "Great Salt Lake". She tried singing it for me but I was still giving her a look that said, "I have no idea what song you're talking about." Then I happened to randomly be up on the men's floor working one day not long after this conversation, where it's much quieter because, well, men are just better shoppers that women and don't feel the need to just browse around and touch everything; they shop only when they need something, and so the Men's floor is much less busy. Anyway, in the quietness the music became less of background noise and more of listening noise that I heard someone singing "Great Salt Lake" in this great chorus. Was I hearing it right? Was there really a song whose chorus was the words Great Salt Lake?

Yes.

I kept listening for the song every day I worked, and would feel happy when I'd hear it. I found out that it's from a band called Band of Horses. I haven't actually researched them or anything, but I bet they're from Salt Lake. I also found this video they made for the song. It's kind of a dumb video, and I actually prefer the lyric and song to the visual images they put with it, but what are you gonna do. If you want, just click on the video and then browse around on another tab so all you hear is the music and not the video.



And today, not longer after getting off the phone with a person from Utah, this song was played. Kismet.

2 comments:

jeff said...

Hall and Oates sing "Private Eyes." Huey Lewis and the News are literally my favorite band, and I'm tempted to come into the Crew just to hear the Promise. Great song.

Just Julie said...

How embarrassing that I got it wrong! I knew I should've doubled checked, otherwise I'll think that Huey Lewis, and Tracy Chapman, too, are Bruce Springsteen!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com