Monday, July 8, 2013

My Grandma

I started writing this the day my grandma passed away, June 27th, but could never get the words just right.
 
A hundred years is a long time, and that's how long my Grandma Anderson had been on this earth before she passed away this afternoon. It is amazing to me to think of all the things she has seen in her life. It's even more amazing when I think about the family she has left behind and how she will live on in each of us.

My grandma studied at and graduated from BYU, back in the day when not many women attended college. It was there that she met her husband, George McKay Anderson.  They married on December 23, 1936. They created a life in Moroni, UT, raising seven children. This could not have been easy, especially when she had four boys in a row in the hot summer months.

My drawers are filled with crocheted house slippers and dishrags that she made and gave away every Christmas (or anytime you visited). She collected thimbles, and whenever anyone went anywhere they would bring her back one. A meal was an event, with a tablecloth and everything in a dish. She hosted General Authorities and prophets in her home as the wife of a Stake President.

So she was prepared when many kids and grandkids would descend to her home for the Fourth of July. We would sleep anywhere there was room--the hide-away bed in the living room, the "window" room, or outside in the front yard. After breakfast at the park provided by the firemen, chairs would be set up in the street in front of their home to watch the parade. Then it was food and fun all afternoon until fireworks that night. I have such wonderful memories being there for the Fourth that it is my favorite holiday. 

After my Grandpa passed away nearly nineteen years ago, there was a common saying in our family around holidays and events of "this could be Grandma's last." But she kept living and spending time with her family and loved ones. Sadly, as the years have gone on I have seen less of her. I am so thankful family was able to be with her during her last week. And I'm so glad she has been reunited with Grandpa. Rest in Peace Afton Jewel Kay Anderson.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com