Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My (Creative) Job

There are parts of my job I like doing, some I really like doing, and other things that I do because I have to but  don't really like. Surprisingly, I have found that I really like doing things where I'm creating something in ArcMap or even just plain old Publisher. It's not overly creative, and nowhere near on par with what real creative people do, but it's this portion of projects that I like the most.

I've been creating maps for the placement of new bus shelters. I've created a map for bike count locations. I created supporting documents with site photos and descriptions for bus shelters. I sometimes get carried away with the visual stuff that I forget (or put off, rather) doing the things like returning phone calls, responding to emails, transcribing minutes or creating agendas. Sadly, though, these things need to get done, too. I do them, but I'm much less excited about them.

Whenever I do any of those personality tests or horoscope readings or have someone read my aura, they all say that I'm a "creative person". I've always thought this was totally wrong, because I have never thought of myself as creative. But if everything was saying it, then it must be sorta true, right? I'm not creative like some of my friends who use their macs and every photoshop tool in the Adobe suite to create awesome presentations. I'm not like friends and family who are handy with fabric and yarn and buttons (although I do now have a sewing machine....). I don't naturally yearn to just make all the stuff on my Pinterest Craft board. But I have my own kind of creativity, and thankfully it serves me well in my job.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com