Sunday, July 14, 2013

Matchbox Twenty Concert 2013

I spent more time driving to and from the concert at the Sprint Center in Kansas City than I did at the actual concert. There was an accident on the turnpike, which brought it to a veritable parking lot for five miles. Then I had to stop at the service station to put some air in my tires (long story). Then the toll plaza was extremely backed-up, creating another parking lot situation. I was deeply annoyed.

Because of this I missed the opening act, Kate Earl, and half of the real opening act, The Goo Goo Dolls. However, on the plus side was that my seat was upgraded to a really sweet spot in the lower section from the upper section. That practically made up for the turnpike grumpiness.

That and seeing Matchbox Twenty!! This was my fifth time seeing them in concert, and they never fail to impress. Rob Thomas sounds amazing live. Seriously so good. I love when he gets behind the piano and sings and plays.

 There wasn't a lot of talk between songs, so it's a good thing I already know all the stories behind the songs from previous concerts.



I've liked Matchbox since I was 15, when I heard "Push" on the radio and then ordered their cd through one of those Columbia House deals. After all these years, they have a lot of songs, and it's just not possible to sing them all in an hour and a half (I would suggest getting rid of opening acts and devoting more time to the main show, like when Tim McGraw did his Dancehall Doctors tour). All of the main hits were performed, with a surprising amount from their first album, but many of my favorites were missed.

Here's Rob singing "Push" for the encore. It was awesome.  This has been their encore song for every concert I've been to, and every time it is worth the wait.


All the band members came out wearing shirts that read "Gay OK." This was in direct response to a group of people outside the concert who were apparently bashing gays and claiming to be Christians (since I was very late I didn't catch it). I liked the statement. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com