Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Sound of You Sleeping

Sunday night, as I was watching The Sound of Music, and thoroughly enjoying it, I couldn't help but notice how it was similar to my all-time favorite movie, While You Were Sleeping. I know you're probably thinking I'm crazy, but stick with me for a little bit while I explain. Maria and Lucy both want things that are essentially good, but aren't really right for them. Maria is sure she wants to be a nun and join the life of a person in the service of God; Lucy is sure that Peter, a man she has never met or talked to, is her perfect match. When life (or God) puts obstacles in their lives, both find what it is they're really looking for.

Maria is sent to be a governess for a widowed Captain and his seven children. Although she enjoys her life at the convent and has the best of intentions, it's clear that her talents are best suited in the von Trapp household. I love that she takes the task on with so much gusto and confidence. She gives it her all, and when it turns out she comes face to face (literally, with her dance with the Captain at the ball) with what is meant to be her real purpose, she gets scared and runs. This is exactly what I would do. Maria, unlike me, decided she needs to face her problem and, with some great words of advice from Reverend Mother, returns to the von Trapps. And in returning she gets just what she wants, even if it is different than what she originally planned.

Lucy gets thrown into the world and family of her never-talked-to-love when he gets pushed onto the tracks at Lucy's booth and she rescues him. And in meeting the family, she meets Jack, Peter's brother. While Peter is in a coma (still no talking), Lucy gets the chance to talk, walk, flirt, and bond with a real live person. Instead of ending up with Peter, someone she thought she wanted, she realizes that it's really someone like Jack that she loves. Her life turned out completely different than she had envisioned (great words of advice from her dad), all thanks to doing something completely unplanned.

Sometimes we don't know why we're placed where we are. I think lots of times it's to meet people that will have some sort of affect on us. Will I meet my husband at Myriad Genetics? Maybe not, but working there will be of some sort of benefit to me. I've already documented my belief in things happening for a reason, and just want to reinforce that I think small things, things we have no idea why we're doing, things we would never dream of doing, even things we think we want, can change your life.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com