Saturday, December 26, 2009

Christmas

Christmas Eve was busy. After the movie, my dad came down to have Christmas with the kids and grandkids. As we waited for Em to get off work (Walmart decided to stay open til 8:00 and Em's last minute schedule change had her working), we watched Star Wars on tv and ate some chili I'd made. My brother's ex in-laws were kind enough to let us crash their Christmas Eve night for a little bit so my dad could watch them open the presents he'd bought them.

The kids were definitely excited for the coming Christmas morning, and enjoyed getting presents the night before.

Emily finally got home (at 10:30) and we opened presents with my dad before he headed back north and we headed to bed. Christmas morning came late(r) since there aren't any kids in the house and we all wanted to sleep. We had breakfast with french toast, bacon, cinnamon rolls, clementines and scrambled eggs. At this point I was getting a little antsy, and could feel the kid inside me just wanting to open some presents.

As I've gotten older, Christmas has become a different holiday. The magic isn't quite the same when you're stressed about buying presents for family, friends, and co-workers, racing around to various parties and engagements, working and being busy; it was so much simpler when I was a kid and only worried about being good so Santa would come. As much as I hate things to change, I know that they can't stay the same forever. And so I reminisce about the wonderful Christmases I had as a kid and relish in watching my nieces and nephew enjoy the magic and wonder of Christmas.

As an adult, I appreciate that I got to spend the entire day with my mom, brother, and sister. We lounged in our pjs for most of the morning, then enjoyed one of our new traditions (started by me) of seeing a movie on Christmas Day. This year's movie was Sherlock Holmes and it did not disappoint. In fact, it was the rare occasion where my expectations were exceeded and the movie was entirely awesome. Everything, from the stylized direction by Guy Ritchie to the dialogue and banter between Holmes and Watson to the fantastic music, made it the rare blockbust/action film that is not only fun to watch but alos intelligent. I laughed, jumped, had intake of breath, and was taken away into the solving of the case. I highly recommend it to everyone.
Jared was annoyed by my picture taking and refused to participate.

He also laughed at me when I asked to have my picture taken with the poster.



When we returned home we played a rousing game of Phase 10, where there was much laughter, skipping, and phasing. It was a Merry Christmas...and I hope yours was too!




0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com