Friday, October 16, 2009

Words and Phrases for Two-Hundred, Alex

My oldest niece, Ivy, is eight. She's in the third grade and currently reading the first Harry Potter book. She remembers everything and loves to talk. Recently, as I've been hanging out with her, she's asked me the meaning of words or phrases I've said--"pay your respects", "take a raincheck", "pace ourselves", "sturdy". I love that instead of just going along with what I'm saying she'll actually say, "What does that mean?". Sometimes I'm hardpressed to describe the word, but I like trying to find other ways to say the things I say in a way she'll understand. I enjoy the little moments of getting to see the world from an eight-year-old's perspective. My mom and sister always tease me that I use big words, but I sorta hope Ivy will pick up on my words and be cool just like me.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com