Monday, October 19, 2009

A Crazy Night

I've been on my ward's Family Home Evening Committee since June. Everything has pretty much been planned and all I've had to do was show up, help clean up afterward, talk with some people, and then go home. Until tonight.

I was put in charge of the Corn Maze activity. It didn't seem like it'd be that hard to organize and put together. And this is basically my essential flaw: I tend to underestimate either the ease or hardness of everything. Also, I'm a procrastinator. Put these two things together and it's not a good combination. Also add the fact that I don't have a car, and it was a recipe for disaster. Oh, and did I mention that it was raining? And that I gave everyone the wrong address.

It was complete craziness, and when I was in the moment it seemed like it was awful. Everything eventually turned out okay, though; people enjoyed the Corn Maze, we had apple cider (even if it was warm) and doughnuts after, and no one wanted their money back. Hopefully the next FHE I have to be in charge of will be at the church, require no money-handling, and there will be other people from the committee there to help.

A big thanks to Cat for driving me around to find doughnuts and apple cider and for putting things in perspective when I was wallowing in my misery and was pretty sure I would have to change wards. I'll be there on Sunday, and hopefully with some lessons learned about planning, not procrastinating, and not worrying about things I can't change.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com