Friday, October 9, 2009

Trust Your Gut

Last night my mom and I were eating at Wendy's. As our meal was winding down I looked over my shoulder around the restaurant and saw a woman sitting by herself. If not homeless, she's probably very close to it. Her nose was red from the cold outside and only had a pair of flip-flops to cover her feet and shorts to (not) cover her legs. I thought it nice that the people of Wendy's were kind enough to let her sit there and get a small respite from the cold.

As we got up to leave and I tossed our empty cartons into the garbage can, I couldn't shake the feeling that I should do something for this lady. Maybe buy her lunch. In New York, we used to talk a lot about how to know who to help; there are so many people in New York that are asking for your change that it's hard to know who really needs the help. Most people agreed that even though it wasn't possible to help everyone, if you just went with your gut and trusted that inner voice of yours, you could be generous and helping to numerous people.

We walked out the door and I couldn't stop thinking that I should go back in and do something. But since I've never actually approached a homeless person I wasn't quite sure how to do it. I let my fear of approachment overrule the urge to help someone, and all night I couldn't stop thinking about it. So my advice to me and you: Trust your gut and do it.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com