Sunday, December 20, 2015

My First Brush With Denton

This weekend last year I arrived in Denton for my second interview with the City for their position of Bike/Ped Coordinator. I left Topeka on a drizzly and overcast day after our Planning Department holiday lunch get together. I got to Denton mid-evening and stayed at a hotel off of I-35 and University. I had dinner at Brahm's, then prepped for my interview the next day.
                           My interview outfit
 Since the interview was in the afternoon I had some time to check out Denton. I drove to the Square and spent some time at Recycled Books. I had made appointments to check out some apartments so I'd be ready if/when I was offered the job. I'm actually living in the first apartment I looked at, but at the time it was really discouraging. Nothing was wrong with the apartments, exactly, except when I compared it to my present. My apartment in Topeka was pretty spectacular. It was large. It had wood floors and exposed brick. It was spacious with plenty of storage and room for my bike. I loved that apartment. The options in Denton were smaller and more expensive.

I got frustrated and discouraged. And then it snowballed. I voxered my friend Kate and actually cried. I was sad about leaving not just my awesome apartment, but my awesome friends, too.There may have also been some lingering emotions about an ended relationship, as well.

I found my way to the library so I could compose myself prior to my interview. I reviewed my responses. I looked over the info about the Hickory Grand Street Project. I reapplied my red lipstick.

The interview went great (I'm an excellent interviewer). Afterward I felt much better about everything.

That was Friday. Monday morning Mark (my boss) called to offer me the job. And I love Denton. Yes, my apartment is small and has no storage and is very close to a loud music venue (the link is for a music fest, and those happen quite frequently as well). Yes, I miss my friends in Kansas. But Denton is pretty darn fantastic.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com