Monday, December 14, 2015

Star Wars Memory Lane: Special Edition - A New Hope

I'm going to do these how they happened in real life, not chronologically in the Star Wars universe (which is also a bit wonky.....Episode IV before Episode 1...what?!). 

My first memory of Star Wars is watching them on t.v. in my parents' bedroom. The trilogy seemed to air on one of the cable channels around Christmastime, and I remember watching them with lots of excitement. For Christmas one year Santa brought my family the boxed trilogy set, meaning I could now watch them when I wanted without commercial interruptions. My obsession began.

Back in 1997, we didn't have the internet and social media. I apparently didn't find out about the re-releases until I went to a movie with my mom on January 18 and saw a trailer. I mentioned this in my journal. I generally state that I'm excited and can't wait. Two days later, I mention that I watched Star Wars and The Empire Strikes in preparation, but did not have time for Return of the Jedi

And then Saturday afternoon, after returning from a sleepover, we went to the theater. This is my excited and critical review of it in my journal:

February 1, 1997
Today I watched Star Wars. But it was on the big screen! It was so cool. My dream come true. The city where Luke finds Han is totally changed. All the effects were way better. Especially when the Death Star blew up. On February 21 The Empire Strikes Back come out. I can hardly wait. 

Julie of 1997 was pretty pleased with this experience. At this point, I'm just super jazzed to be experiencing it on the big screen, in a movie theater. Present Julie is less enamored with the Special Edition versions.

Tomorrow - The Empire Strikes Back

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com