Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Star Wars Memory Lane: Special Edition - Return of the Jedi

March 15, 1997
Today I saw Return of the Jedi. It was so good, except for the end where all the Ewoks are celebrating and dancing. They changed the song to something totally different and stupid. I love that song. I was so upset about it. But now that they are all over, I don't have anything to look forward to anymore. I mean, now what? 

I finally had something critical to say about the Special Editions. I really don't like the song change. It's been a long time since I've watched the SE - is it still like that?

I know that in releases after the prequels, Hayden Christensen was added in as the blue-glowing version of Anakin Skywalker at the end of Jedi. How do people feel about that?


Seeing the films on the big screen was quite a big deal for me. I clearly enjoyed experiencing them on the big screen (I'm still obsessed with seeing "old" films on the big screen for the first time). However, I am not a fan of the Special Editions. To me, the films were perfect the way they were. Most of the changes are minor, but they still bother me - the addition of CGI cities and animals and explosions aren't needed.

I complained about this for awhile, so one year for Christmas Lindsay found VHS versions of the original on Ebay. We were able to watch them because we still had VCRs back then. Now they just sit on my shelf, next to my two versions of the VHS releases (both, sadly, Special Edition) and the 2006 DVD release (which is also Special Edition). Sadly, I don't think I'll ever be able to get the original edition on DVD....

The reviews will get a bit less full of love here on out, as I'll start tackling the prequels.

Earlier: A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back
Tomorrow: The Phantom Menace

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com