Monday, December 21, 2015

Excitement for Star Wars

When Disney announced the release date for the first Star Wars movie in ten years, I immediately contacted Lindsay and we made plans to see it together. It would be the first to have a release date in December instead of May. We sadly would not be able to see it opening day at midnight to keep with tradition, as the earliest I could get out of Texas would be the weekend.

That meant we had to wait four days to see it. Four days would have been fine ten years ago, but we now have social media. However, everyone was really great about not posting spoilers. Most of those that did post did it in vague generalities. There was also an awful lot of people saying it was great. Like really great.

And then, suddenly, my careful plan to keep my expectations in check, to not get too excited so I wouldn't be let down again, crumbled. I. Was. Excited. And it scared me. My plan included not reading anything about the film. No spoilers. No stories about the cast. No behind the scenes photos. Absolutely nothing. I didn't even watch the trailer over and over online. After seeing the teaser trailer when I saw Avenger: The Age of Ultron, I decided to keep it old school and wait for a viewing of the full trailer to happen organically.

Or, for the universe to show it to me. So I waited to either see it as a preview at a movie I was seeing, or on  t.v. One night I was watching Jane the Virgin and there it was, unexpectedly in front of me. I got chills.

The plan helped for the months and weeks leading up to the release. But it couldn't do anything post-release. Thursday to Sunday was tough, knowing that other people, people who were less of fans than Lindsay and me, had already seen it! Some of them multiple times by the time we sat down in our seats.


 We saw it. I still wish we had seen it at midnight, as those are the best crowds. Our audience was rather subdued; Lindsay and I had to start the clapping and cheering when the green Lucasfilm logo came on screen. We had to start the cheering when the screen crawl started.

But we saw it. And I will write about my reaction to the movie next....

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com