Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Day At the Races

My race day started earlier than the 7:30 start time. Because I live on the east side of the valley in Sugarhouse, I am in the direct area of the marathon. All streets I needed to use to get to the TRAX line to get me to the race were blocked off. This was something I should've thought about the night before and planned for. I am not a planner and am a perennial procrastinator. This always has dire consequences that make my non-procrastinator self very mad at my procrastinator self.

After realizing that there was no way I would be able to cross State Street at any place, I made the decision to park somewhere near the University TRAX line and make my way from there. But, sadly, it seemed like if I couldn't cross State Street neither could the train. After being told, after walking to the Library Station from the Trolley Square Station, that I could catch a train at Gallivan Plaza to the start of the race at The Gateway, I booked it to Gallivan Plaza. Once there, I was told the next train would arrive at 7:30. The race started at 7:30. It was 7:23. I decided that if I wanted to run the race, I'd have to make it The Gateway by foot. And so I ran. When I got to the corner I could hear the announcer saying, "Are you guys ready?! Here we go.." As I entered the race had just begun.

Once again, I booked it to the end of the line, and a very nice volunteer said she would hold my bag for me as I ran. Seriously, a lifesaver and an angel. I had enough time, in the huge bottleneck of people getting to the start line, to catch my breath and get my ipod started. And then I crossed the start line and I was off. Yeah, I had already ran 2.5 miles just getting there (I googlemapped it). Needless to say, I didn't run the entire time.

But I did it and finished and felt really good afterward, and was glad that I made myself get to the race when I could've just given up.

Lesson learned: Be prepared, don't expect things to be perfect, work hard, plan ahead, and give it your all.

I've misplaced my camera, so tomorrow I will post about the race with pictures...if the camera is found...

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com