Friday, April 23, 2010

A Concert with Cousins (And a Sister)

Thursday night I rocked out to Daughtry with Emily and my cousins Phaedra and Marilyn. I got to the concert late and missed the opening opening act of Cavo. I have class Thursday nights, and I must admit that when I left class to make my way to the concert a few minutes away, I wasn't in the mood for rocking out or talking with people. I was frustrated with my class and my inability to figure out my final project and felt like even though I aced my tests, I was having serious problems converting that knowledge to actual map making.

But I arrived, mere moments before Lifehouse went on stage. These guys' biggest hit, for me anyway, was Hanging By a Moment, which came out at least ten years ago because I was in high school. I had the song (illegally) downloaded from Napster and it was ubiquitous on the radio. And I remember the video that played on VH1 and MTV because the lead singer had some awful hair that veered dangerously close to being called the "butt-crack" hair cut. At any rate, they fell off my radar years ago. But they put on a good show, rocked out, sang their most famous hit, and did what an opening band is supposed to: get us ready for the show.

Then it was Daughtry, the real reason everyone came to the concert. This guy somehow didn't win American Idol when he had the fortune of being on it, but that really doesn't seem to matter as he has an amazing career, credibility, a good voice, and two number one records. Also, his music appeals to a large base of people.

Even though I don't own any of their cds and wouldn't call them my favorite music, I do love most of their radio hits. Daughtry sings with a lot of emotion about important things-- mainly love, getting your heart mashed, and love. He's very fond of equating his love for someone with dying, which is sort of how you feel sometimes. My favorite song was performed, Over You, and it really was powerful. When he sings, "I got over you," it's with such emotion and, honestly, a little bit of anger, that I really feel it.

By the end of the night I was really feeling the music and the energy of the crowd (although some of them decided to leave before the encore. There's always an encore people). It was an awesome night, and made me remember that there's something about musicians that is totally hot and infatuating.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com