Friday, May 22, 2009

Walkin' in Memphis

We put on our (metaphorical) blue suede shoes and walked down Beale Street today. And even though I never felt like I was ten feet above it, and didn't see the ghost of Elvis (but did see his picture pretty much everywhere, from mugs to keychains to cds to clocks to shirts to oven mitts...), nobody asked us if we were Christian, and we didn't play the piano at the Hollywood, it was still pretty darn awesome. As much as Nashville is about country music, Memphis is all about the blues and rock'n'roll and is very proud of its history. Beale street was where it all started.



Memphis is also home to Graceland, which was home to Elvis. We didn't actually go to the home, as it was $28 for the cheapest, leanest ticket and $68 for the all-access ticket, and neither of us are huge Elvis fans, but we did go to the parking lot for Graceland. You see, visiting Graceland is just one big tourist trap. Before you can load up into the shuttle bus that takes you to Graceland you have a lot of free time to roam around all the shops with Elvis memorabilia. It's crazy all the things there are with Elvis' mug on them. I think the weirdest thing I saw was Barbie-like dolls of Elvis and Priscilla in their wedding attire. Who would want that?! The whole commercialization of the place just seemed wrong some how.

But the highlight of the day was definitely Emily falling out of the truck. I was taking a picture of the trolley car we rode in earlier when Emily called out to me from the truck. She leaned out and leaned a little too far. Her balance was lost and with her hand holding her Dr. Pepper she had no way of grabbing anything, and before I knew it I was watching her fall all the way down and roll out onto the pavement. It was so funny I almost peed my pants.


And I don't want to forget a Happy Birthday to my brother. Jared is now 30!

1 comments:

shamm said...

no offense, but your elvis pose needs some work!! it was great to see ya! have fun in SLC. If NY is the big apple, is SLC the big... seagull? salt water taffy? hmm.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com