Saturday, May 9, 2009

The Start of the Summer Movie Season

Warning: Some of the links (Harry Knowles and Michael Bay) drop the f-bomb, so click on them at your own risk! I do not endorse swearing.

Yesterday I boldly went to a place I had never gone before. Yep, I went to my very first Star Trek Movie in a theater. Not only was it my first Trek movie in theater, it was also my first Star Trek movie ever! Even though my sister had found some sort of fascination with the world that is Star Trek, making me watch episodes with her on our single tv and owning all of the films, not to mention her Star Trek: Insurrection poster she hung in her room, I never had any desire to join the ranks of even a casual Trekker.

But then something happened at the beginning of the Summer Movie Season that changed everything. An unfinished print of X-Men: Wolverine was leaked, and although I never watched it, I did read some of the reviews of the work. My fervor was swayed, and I ultimately ended up deciding that it would not be the film for me. Meanwhile, Star Trek was getting some pretty good buzz and reviews. I had already decided that I would wait to see it, if ever, until it went to a dollar theater (and since there are none of those in New York, it'd either have to wait til I was in Utah visiting...or never). But something had to fill the void left by Wolverine, and everyone, from hardcore fans to Harry Knowles to the New York Times were saying it was a good film for newcomers and oldcomers alike.


Trekkies Bash New Star Trek Film As 'Fun, Watchable'

So I fell victim to the buzz and decided, on a whim while walking by the theater, to buy a ticket for the Friday morning show for the $6 Manhattan "matinee" price. The theater filled up nicely, although it wasn't sold-out like the first showing for The Dark Knight last year. And thankfully, there was no one dressed up in full trekkie gear. And while there was some cheering and clapping, it was oddly reserved for a crowd seeing a film on opening day. Maybe it was just too early, but I really love the way an audience can get into a movie and really make it that much more exciting.

And while I wasn't completely mesmerized by the movie like I was sorta hoping I would be, it was a good summer movie that I think will hold up quite well with other summer blockbusters. It's certainly better than a lot of other movies I've seen in the summer months. Being helmed by JJ Abrams, the man behind Felicty, Alias, Lost, and Mission Impossible: III, I knew it couldn't suck completely like some awful Michael Bay pic. Being new to the whole Star Trek canon, I was really fascinated by the relationship between Spock and Kirk, and Spock in and of himself. His use of logic over emotion seemed, actually, quite logical. And I loved the actor's delivery of the lines; so much so that I think I might have a small crush on him. I know that Kirk is supposed to be the leading and ladies man, and he's definitely nice to look at, but he's a bit too cocky for my tastes. Give me those pointy ears and weird eyebrows! And just you don't think I'm crazy, here's Spock and the actor in real life:



So tell me--what movies are you excited to see this summer?

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com