Saturday, January 31, 2009

Differences

I went to a friend's apartment tonight for games. It was nice to know that I could step out my building and get there without having to rely on anyone else.

I went grocery shopping, and miss being able to pay two bucks for an entire gallon of milk, avocados for fifty cents, 18 eggs for a dollar fifty. I paid $2.39 for a half gallon of milk, $1.50 for one avocado, and $2.19 for a dozen eggs.

I miss the large grocery stores in Salt Lake; walking into Wal-mart felt like walking into an airplane hangar. Space is much more limited here, and therefore grocery shopping is ten times worse.

I washed my hair and didn't notice any dry flakes afterward. The cold in Utah is so dry that I couldn't keep anything moisturized, especially my scalp.

I rode the bus at 10:00 at night and felt normal.

I got off the plane at JFK and there was no one with a "Welcome Home Aunt Julie" sign. No one to give me a hug and put my suitcases in their car and take me home. Instead there was a cab driver who took me home.

I got to where I needed to go without having to scrape snow and ice off a car.

I walked out of my apartment and walked to Baskin Robbins, then ate an ice cream cone as I walked down Broadway back home.

I walked down Fifth Avenue and was never the only person on the street.

I rode the subway and walked to church.

I was alone, and yet didn't feel lonely.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com