Monday, January 19, 2009

Double Double Features

Day 8 of the Sundance Film Festival. Movie count: 6. With time seeming to be going by in rapid pace, I decided to make the best use of my credential and free tickets and did two double features in two consecutive days. Wow. It was a little crazy, and I was more than a little tired, running on very little sleep each night, but when else will I be able to get into any movie that I want in a festival and not have to pay for it?!

Tuesday was the first of the Double Features. I was up late the night before visiting with Lindsay-loo and Scott, and then had to be up way too early for work. So, much to my disappointment, my body sort of just gave up once I sat down for my second screening of the night at 9:00. The film was I Love You Phillip Morris, starring Jim Carrey and Ewan McGregor as soulmates who meet in prison. The premise was interesting and buzz-inducing, but the film was just so-so, and while I did nod off through a big chunk of the middle, I don't really feel like I missed out on much.

But there was no way it was going to live up to the fabulous film I saw just before it at Rose Wagner, 500 Days of Summer. This film was simply wonderful; a romcom set in LA, it was done just perfectly, something that's awfully hard to do in romcom land. The characters were great, the story great--everything was so real that I could relate to all of it. Hands down, the best film I've seen so far at the Festival. I love this film!

Yesterday I did another double feature after work, taking advantage of my early shift. But I new that if I was going to make it through both films and not have a repeat of the previous night's head-bobbing, I would have to take a nap first. It was another late night before and early morning rise, and the nap was refreshing and just the right thing to keep me going.
The films in the second double feature, The Messenger and Cliente (A French Gigolo) were good, okay, nothing great or worth writing home about. I had to adjust my original movie plans for the night; I don't have a car and didn't want to walk the five blocks (how lazy has this New Yorker become!) to the Tower Theater, so instead opted to see a movie at the Rose Wagner instead, since it's just a block away from the TRAX stop. I'm pretty sure that the movie I passed on, Arlen Faber, was probably better. The French film was okay, and at least entertaining. The title might lead you to think it's some seedy movie about prostitution and such. It's not. And, I stayed awake during it.
But nothing has compared to the love and joy I have fore 500 Days of Summer. If I could get my hands on the soundtrack AND Joseph Gordon-Leavitt AND Zooey Deschanel's wardrobe, I'd be one happy chick!





0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com