Saturday, January 2, 2016

My Best of 2015

Here's my personal "Best of" lists for 2015.

Movies
I see a lot of movies (well, I think it's a lot, but it's likely fairly average). I try to write about all the movies I see, but I've been a major slacker about blogging this past year. I also keep all my ticket stubs; however they all go into a container with previous years. I also have a dreadful memory. So what I'm saying is that this list will likely be filled with only movies I blogged about (it's in no way, though, all the movies I saw this past year).
The Good
The Martian
Spotlight
Jaws (obviously not released this year, but I saw it this year, so....)
Steve Jobs
The Not Good
Trainwreck
Jurassic World

TV
I don't watch a lot of TV anymore. At least not "appointment" television. 
Downton Abbey   I watch this every January, however the plausibility of the show has fallen steeply since Season 2/3. My interest in it this season hinges on Matthew Goode.
Jane the Virgin caught my attention quickly when I discovered it on Netflix. It was funny and clever and a nice send-up of telenovelas. But then it started relying too much on the love triangle (I abhor love triangles) and I have very quickly lost interest in Season 2.
Parks and Recreation ended this year, but it's been awhile since this was appointment television for me. However, it's still one of my favorite television shows and I enjoyed the finale.
I spent a month or so rewatching The Good Wife to catch up on Season 6. This show really was fantastic...until Season 6 when Alicia ran for State's Attorney. They also completely wasted Matthew Goode. 

Music
I don't listen to the regular radio much, so I don't quite know what the newest music is (I shazamed I song I was listening to at an event and discovered it was Justin Beiber). I'm very glad for KXT 91.7 for introducing me to the following two songs:
"Midnight" by Tor Miller - it's about NYC and sad lovers, and is therefore perfect.
"Things Happen" by Dawes

Radio
I discovered "Serial" a few weeks ago and it was amazing. I would listen to it on my lunch break as I walked at the Civic Center. I loved finding out new information and angles each week to the story of Adnan.

Books
Far From the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy. I saw the movie first and then immediately went out to buy the book. As is generally the case, the book gives more character details and there were many passages that I underlined.
Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel tells the tale of a group of survivors after a world-wide flu epidemic has decimated the population. The story is told non-linearally and it works really well. I especially enjoyed how all the character stories eventually came together, but also that nothing was cliche.
  

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com