Thursday, January 21, 2016

Room

I did a double-header on Monday and saw Brooklyn (again) and another Oscar-nominated film, Room. This was my first time going to the Angelika Film Center in Plano and I was very impressed. I believe I will be making more trips there (although, I'm also quite impressed with the Cinemark in Denton to get a fair share of the so-called "indy" movies).

Room is the story of a woman and her son, she taken against her will and held captive in a 10'x10' shed for seven years and he the child born to her while living in captivity. They live in Room. Well, Jack is living but Ma is just surviving. She has created a world for Jack in Room; she's taught him to read and wonder about things. But it's clear that she is near the end of what she can handle.

She devises a daring escape plan, and I admit that my heart was POUNDING as it all played out. I was so concerned for Jack and if he'd make it out. Then I was concerned about Ma and what would happen to her. I was scared for them, and then overwhelmingly happy for them when they were reunited.

I went into the movie not knowing much about it, and I'm glad that only half of the movie was in Room. I was already starting to get bored of it and wondered how the film would spend the entire time there. Thankfully we get the second half of the movie, wherein Ma and Jack adapt to the world outside of Room. The real world.

And I'm glad the film goes this way (based on a book, so I guess I'm glad the book went this direction), because the conflict and sadness of the outside world is moving. Jack can't believe this whole other world exists, but he seems to be adapting well. Ma, known as Joy in the real world, is the one who really struggles. And why wouldn't she. She is the one who knew what was outside Room, what was happening to her inside Room, and was psychologically beat down.

The film is emotional and I cried quite a bit. I always like William H. Macy and his role as Joy's father is terribly sad. Joan Allen is wonderful as Joy's mom, Nancy, as is her boyfriend, Leo, and his dog. When Nancy is cutting Jack's hair and he says he loves her my little heart burst and tears of joy ran down my face. Love is love.

I especially like that the film is seen through Jack's perspective. His voice overs were my favorite part, as they so perfectly captured the world as seen through a five year-old's perspective. I think it's a shame he wasn't nominated for an Oscar - his performance is marvelous.

When this movie and its star, Brie Larson, started getting a lot of buzz, I confused her with Alison Brie. The names are similar, and even though everything said "Brie Larson" my mind still went to Alison Brie. So when I saw a picture of Brie Larson getting an award for this film, I had to do a double-take. My instant thought was, "That's not Alison Brie!" Then I realized I had the wrong actress.

Bottom line: this is an emotional story that I think is done quite well. I'm glad it doesn't spend too much in Room. The performances really make this film worth it.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com