Sunday, January 24, 2016

Bridge of Spies

I had absolutely no interest in seeing Bridge of Spies. Had it not been nominated for Best Picture it would never have been seen. But it was, and I lucked out that it's still playing in the dollar theater here in Denton. I went in hoping I would be pleasantly surprised and at least a little entertained.

I was not. This film could not capture my interest. Tom Hanks, to me, was phoning it in. Spielberg didn't do anything unique or interesting. Neither did his frequent collaborate, D.P. Janusz Kaminski. I understand the decision to shoot the film in monochromatic greys, but the over use of white light at the windows really bothered me. The film looked incredibly dull to me.

I didn't particularly care about any of the characters. I know I'm supposed to, but I didn't. I am supposed to care about the pilot, Gary Francis Powers, and the detained student, Frederic Pryor, but the film didn't spend a lot of time establishing them as characters to care about. I needed more than "They are Americans." I also wasn't particularly invested in Jim Donovan, the insurance lawyer chosen to first defend a Soviet spy and then negotiate a swap of prisoners. I know he has a wife and a family, but I never quite connected with him as a character.

The film is straightforward and lacking in subtlety. Donovan actually says, "Every life matters." I believe that too, and I appreciate what he did. but every thing was a bit too on-the-nose. The film was written by the Coen brothers, which surprised me when I was watching the credits. They are generally better at creating interesting characters and thoughtful dialogue.

Bottom line: I don't really recommend this movie. However, the people in the theater with me all seemed to really like it; they even laughed. . They were also all a lot older than me, so I think the demographic skews older.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com