Friday, October 2, 2015

Things Happen

Every once in awhile I hear a song that is so unforgettable and moving that I become obsessed with it. Currently that song is "Things Happen" by Dawes. I know nothing of the band.Or any of their other songs, really. I heard the song at least twice back in April/May because Shazam tells me so. However, I heard it again earlier this week and knew I needed to get this song immediately.

Wikipedia tells me that Dawes' genre is "Folk rock, indie folk, indie rock." Which is literally my cup of tea when it comes to music. I also learned that one of the members (who actually just left the band a couple days ago for "musical differences") is the son of actor David Strathairn.

I love the sound of the song. I know nothing, really, about music except how it sounds. And I like this sound of guitars and keyboards and a xylophone. Then there are the lyrics. I am notorious for finding a way to relate every song I hear to my life. The title of the song is practically a sum up of my last couple relationships, Things Happen.
     "I don't know what else you wanted me to say to you. Things happen, that's all they ever do."

Or this really fabulous line:
     "Sometimes we're lovers, sometimes we're friends.
       Behold the magnetism between two dead ends."

And then I watched the video on YouTube and it solidified my love for the song even more. The protagonist of the music video is a street musician, and on this day he gets interrupted and followed by a bunch of wacky street performers (Charlie Chaplin, Elivs and Marilyn Monroe impersonators, along with a dancing crazy person). He rides the bus home looking dejected and annoyed with how his day went (presumably he wanted to make money, or just share his music with the people of LA).

When he gets home he is surprised by a birthday party in the backyard, full of people who love him. His grandma hugs him, he blows out candles, and general fun and merriment occur. I just love that! When we feel kicked around by life and like we can't catch a break, there are people who love us.

That's true for me, and I hope that's true for you.

(There's also a stripped down live version, which I also love. )

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com