Thursday, February 28, 2013

I Brought a Snowstorm With Me

Before moving, people would ask me how winters are in Topeka, how much snow they get, does it get cold. Not exactly knowing the answer, I would say that they get snow but not a  lot like we get in Salt Lake. Maybe I jinxed it.

Last Thursday Topeka was hit with a huge snowstorm. Wednesday night the local t.v. stations were scrolling the schools, businesses, churches and other organizations that would be closed the next day. When I woke up Thursday morning and looked out my windows it was like a white out. It snowed during the night and all through the day. It was preceded by some freezing rain, which made everything slick and glisten (remember that random freezing rain Salt Lake had a few weeks ago?! It was just like that). I didn't go anywhere that day, but I did venture out to take some pictures and clean off my car (thankful that I don't have to shovel sidewalks).

 

All the snow was pushed into the middle of the street for the day, since it just kept coming down. During the night, however, the snow in the median and from much of downtown was hauled out. We were supposed to get another big storm this Tuesday and Wednesday, and in anticipation the parking lot across the street from me hauled out the huge piles of snow that had been pushed and plowed to the sides. It was a good idea with excellent forethought, however we never got the accumulation we were expecting as it ended up being too warm and most of the snow didn't stick to the ground or road.

I have been accused by a few people of bringing the snow with me, as Topeka had not had any snow this winter until I came. I'm okay with it, though, because having the snow reminds me of Salt Lake.








0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com