Friday, February 8, 2013

Can You O.D. on Les Mis?

A few weeks ago I thought I had reached Les Mis over-saturation. The London cast recording and movie soundtrack were the only things I listened to while driving and at home. I had a Pandora Les Miserables station that I listened to at work. So to be sure I went to my fourth viewing of the film.

Turns out there is no such thing as over-saturation! The music is still on repeat on my iPod and Spotify account. And today, because I needed to use a Free Popcorn coupon and there was nothing else I wanted to see, I saw it again for viewing number five. And it just never gets old.

More and more "Stars" becomes one of my favorite songs. Russell Crowe does not deserve any of the bad press he has gotten for his singing. And I never tire of hearing "Do You Hear the People Sing?"--it's so rousing and angry and beautiful. I'll also never tire of Gavroche running and singing around the streets of Paris, or of Eddie Redmayne and his freckled face singing to his lost comrades. I'll never tire of Jean Valjean doing the right thing, forgiving and sparing Javert, learning to love and care for others, for turning his life around.

Someday soon I will blog about things that don't involve Les Miserables. But it's not because I don't want to. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! Marilyn has seen it SIX times! I'm trying to get Eric to go but he is afraid that I won't like him any more if he doesn't like it! Congratulations on your job! When do you move? We will have to go to a farewell Jazz game or something...

Andrew and Gina said...

The soundtrack is on repeat around here too. Little Belle sees the album cover and calls it the "sad girl" music. I've only seen it once. But I've also only seen 2 movies in the theater since belle was born so that should say something that I saw it at all.

Stars is also my current favorite. And javert has become my favorite character. I never believed his suicide. I never thought he'd kill himself just from that. But listening to stars, I see a while new depth. He believed all along that he was the righteous one.

Anyway. Yes I love it too

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com