Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Moving On...Again

You might remember that I was in Topeka a bit ago for a job interview. This was the one job that I really wanted of the 30+ I applied for--it was in the field of transportation planning AND was in a city that I had been to and had friends in. I found out about two and a half weeks ago that I got the job!! I was at my brother's house when the call happened, so he and my sister-in-law knew about it, and I of course told my mom and sister and my co-workers as they all knew about the interview, but I've been waiting until the background check and drug tests came back and I was officially hired before sharing the news with everyone else. Even though I knew those tests would come back negative and there wouldn't be a problem, I was still a little paranoid that something would go wrong. I had been sick the days leading up to the drug test and I was terrified the Nyquil I had taken to sleep would somehow show up on the drug test that I do hardcore drugs. Silly girl.

Anyway, I started moving forward on plans to move before it was official. I found a super awesome loft downtown that is crazy close to work. It has wood floors and brick walls and high ceilings. I love it. When I was there for the interview I stayed with my childhood best friend's mom, Terry, who was practically my second mom when I was a kid. Amber and Terry and I went out to dinner and they showed me around Topeka. It really is so crazy that I would end up in Topeka.

(I feel like this post is all over the place)

I moved to New York City five and a half years ago, with no idea how that move would benefit me so much in the future. When I moved, I was running away more than anything. The previous year was pretty tough, as I had gone through a pretty wrenching divorce. I felt lost and wanted to be lost in a place where no one knew me. It's because I lived in New York that I discovered what I am passionate about. It's because I lived in New York that I understand cities. It's because I lived in New York that I'm not scared to leave my family and friends and move across the country. And honestly, I think I partly got the job in Topeka because my boss liked the fact that I was adventurous and would just move to New York. The city will always be special for me.

So now I'm going to embark on a new adventure. It feels different to move for a job and have a purpose. Things have worked out so well that it must be right. And who knows, maybe my future husband has been waiting for me to cross the yellow brick road into the land of Oz.

1 comments:

pambelina said...

I'm so excited for you, I really am. I just selfishly want you to stay right by me for the rest of forever. Oh well, maybe we'll have to come visit Kansas!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com