Sunday, March 12, 2017

Washington DC: Days One and Two

When I moved back to SLC from NYC, my sister came out to help me drive the truck. We left NYC and headed for our cousin who works in DC and lives in Virginia with his family. We reached DC around rush hour and, obviously, didn't really have the time (or a place to park the rental truck) to stop and see the sights. Em has been kinda bummed about this ever since. 

So when I knew I was going to DC for work I invited Em to come out with me. We each arrived on Saturday to have a couple days to hang out and sight-see. I arrived a few hours before Em and hit up the National Portrait Gallery (yes, they still have the portrait of LL Cool J). I then met Em at the Metro stop. After dropping off luggage at the hotel we headed to the Hard Rock Cafe, a tradition, for some much-needed food in our bellies. 


Before heading out for sight-seeing, we hit up the gift shop across the street form the Hard Rock so Em could buy some gloves. It was quit cold, but we didn't want to lose a day of seeing sites. We walked down to the White House to see it at night, followed by the Washington Monument. The wind was blowing and we were freezing, so we made our way back to our hotel room. 




Day two we had tickets to tour Ford's Theater, but first we had a delicious breakfast at Lincoln's Waffle Shop. The place was small and packed. Our food was delicious! 





After Ford's Theater we headed to the National Archives to see the Magna Carta, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence. There are a lot of other things to see, as well, and I think it is my favorite gallery. We then made our way from one end of the Mall to the other, making our way to the MLK Memorial and the Jefferson Monument. 










By this point our feet were super sore and we were cold. Everything closes at 5:30 anyway, so we headed to a movie theater we had passed the night before to rest our feet and get warm (we saw La La Land Em fell asleep). We then went to our hotel to rest and prep for the next day. 

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com