Saturday, March 9, 2013

The First Week

My first two weeks in Topeka, before I was working, are kind of a blur now. I remember not having a whole lot to do, feeling sad, wanting to cry, going shopping, organizing and putting things away. It was hard to think that my life would not always be like that.

Monday was Orientation at City Hall. It was all day and like every orientation you've ever been too--these are our policies, don't be rude, be considerate, here are the benefits, you won't get vacation days until after 6 months, have your picture taken. Even though I am an employee of the City, I have been lent out to Topeka Metro Transit Authority part of the time. That's where I went on Tuesday, where I had another mini-Orientation. I was introduced to everyone and then took a bus ride to get familiar with Topeka and the bus system.

Thursday I was at the City, where I had another mini-Orientation--here's the office, here's your password, here's your voicemail, here's your 125 emails, here's the staff, here's the breakroom, here's your parking permit. The City had a press release regarding my hiring, which my boss brought to our Staff Meetings. Apparently it was a slow news day because it was on Page 2. I was referred to as a celebrity. :) My first hour there I had a phone call from a resident who was excited about the Bikeways plan in Topeka and my hiring and wanted to offer his help in any way. It was very nice.

So I'm getting familiar with everything. I'm attending meetings and all around being a Planner. It's pretty great.

1 comments:

Andrew and Gina said...

a quick google news search found the article. how cool. http://cjonline.com/news/2013-03-05/topeka-city-bikeways-coordinator-starts-work

Its funny that they posted your salary. Way to go though! :)

Glad to hear you are doing well.

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com