Wednesday, March 13, 2013

A Church is a Church

My church in Salt Lake was an old building that has been around since....I don't know but one of my parents went to it when they were my age and it was old then. It's old and beautiful. So beautiful. It's on the corner of 2nd Ave and G Street and is simply called the G Street Chapel. The chapel has a balcony and wood benches that are fairly narrow. There's intricate work along the ceiling in beautiful gold and blue. The wood is dark and made even more lovely by the natural light coming in from the stained-glass windows. In the summer there wasn't even a need to turn the lights on, what with the sun shining through the windows. Sometimes I would just stare at the windows while listening to the music and would feel such peace.

My church now is a run-of-the-mill church. It looks like any LDS church in the Salt Lake valley--overhead lighting, no balcony, a blue/turquoise color scheme. I wouldn't call it beautiful like the G Street Chapel, but it serves the exact same purpose and serves the same sacrament and teaches the same lessons. While presentation does matter, substance is most important.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com