Thursday, March 14, 2013

First Bike Ride

The weather is absolutely beautiful today! It's 70 degrees and not humid yet so I thought I'd take my bike out for a spin to get it used to the Topeka streets. I first had to stop at the conveniently located bike shop a block from my home to get air in my tires. Turns out having the right amount of air in your tires makes a BIG difference. I couldn't believe how much easier the ride was! Then I wondered how long I had been going with them being just below enough.

I didn't ride for very long. It was more exploratory than anything--trying to find the right route if I were to ride my bike to work, getting comfortable on the streets that don't have dedicated bike lanes (oh how that makes me miss Salt Lake!). Topeka is relatively flat, which makes riding a whole lot easier. Now if I could just figure out a way to not get helmet hair...

Being the Bikeways Coordinator for Topeka, I feel a small sense of pressure to be out there on my bike all the time. I will try to ride it to work when I can, but I get sweaty pretty easily and I don't want to be all sweaty and stinky while at work all day. I will have to see what I can do about that. Overall, though, it felt really great to be out riding tonight! And thank you Daylight Savings for making it not get dark until later.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com