Sunday, March 10, 2013

Footloose

This weekend I had the pleasure of attending my first theatrical performance in Topeka--Seaman High School's production of Footloose. My "second mom", Terry, works there and she had fun seeing the students she knows in the production (I thought about you, Phaedra!). The kids were all great; I love seeing young kids getting involved in the arts and perhaps discovering something they love. (I will have to write a post about my turn in my high school's production of A Midsummer Night's Dream.)

After seeing the play I couldn't get the music out of my head. Since I'm into indulging anything I'm obsessed with, I watched the new version on Netflix and the classic original today (can I just digress here a bit and say how much I love my new t.v. and its wi-fi capabilities that let me watch Netflix and Amazon Instant Video on it).

The original is really a classic. Whenever I think of Kevin Bacon, I think of Footloose. To me, it's the movie that defines him. I can remember watching it when I was a kid and just dancing like a crazy kid to the title song. For some reason we really liked the "kick off your Sunday shoes..please, Louise..." line. The remake is a fun movie too, but if you've seen the original it does  just feel like the same movie with different people. The new Ren does a pretty good job of dancing, but, like the original, the character of Ariel is annoying. I also like John Lithgow's preacher better than Dennis Quaid's because it feels more real. I also liked seeing the mountains of Utah in the original.

I think I just might have to download the soundtrack now.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha! I dragged you to a few, didn't I?

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com