Friday, January 14, 2011

First Week Schizophrenia

My first week of graduate school was a roller coaster of schizophrenia. I left work early on Monday and headed to campus to visit the bookstore and get my new UCard (my previous one had a picture from 6 years (!) ago when I first entered the U). That was all good. Then I went to class.

After class I felt super overwhelmed. Not necessarily by the class itself, but by everything. My utter non-excitement for the class, Urban and Regional Analysis, and the teacher. My work schedule interfering with my school schedule, my school schedule interfering with my work schedule. Fear that I would have to drop a class and then I'd be even more behind. The only thing that got me through Monday night was Rumbi and a Chuck rerun on t.v.

Then Tuesday came. I took the bus to school (less than 10 minutes!), and super enjoyed my class, City and Profession, and the teacher. Things were looking up and I was feeling exciting. I talked with a girl who was in her last semester and she gave me some good tips. I went home feeling really good about everything.

Until my Planning Theory/Ethics class Wednesday night, which sucked any sort of excitement out of me and replaced it with sheer dread. I've heard from numerous students to avoid this teacher like the plague, but unfortunately I need this class and no one else teaches it. And the class I could substitute it with most definitely didn't fit in with my work schedule. It sorta bummed me out.

I dropped the class I was not excited for (which is an either/or class and luckily I think the other one is more me) and added GIS for Planning. Even though this class takes up my Thursday night, I'm excited for it. First of all, I've taken a couple GIS classes already which should be helpful. And second, my teacher is quirky and cool. He uses interesting words and has a unique approach to GIS that I find him quite refreshing.

So week one down. Hopefully my emotions will even out as the semester goes on.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com