Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Change of Focus

As I sat in sacrament meeting today, I kept having the thought that I very often focus on the things I don't currently (or will never) have. Of course it's natural to think and plan for the future, and to make goals and map out how you will achieve them and all that. Yes, that is fine. But I tend to obsess and worry over what I don't have, to the point that I think it makes me depressed. My hair always seems to be something I hate. My clothes don't fit the way I want them to. I can't sing. I don't have a boyfriend. I'm not funny or clever or witty. I'm not as good a writer as those around me. I'm not always kind or considerate. I'm in my late twenties and just starting grad school, when I should already have a career.

My point is that it does no good to think about the things we don't have. And it's especially not good to compare ourselves to others. I also do this obsessively. And it gets me nowhere.

So I'd like to start focusing on the things that I do have. I'd like to start realizing that we never know what other people are going through and what their insecurities are and what their trials in life are, so it makes no sense to compare ourselves to them. In the end I will be judged on what I do with what I have been given.

1 comments:

pambelina said...

I realized that I always compare my worst traits with someone else's best traits. Not helpful at all!

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com