Friday, February 12, 2010

Let the Games Begin


Tonight the Olympics start. I have always loved the Olympics. I have memories of watching them as a kid with my family and just being in awe of everything that the Olympics are. When my mom and sister visited me in New York last year during the Summer Olympics it was hard to not spend time just sitting in my apartment watching swimming, diving, running and gymnastics. The Olympics are awesome.

So imagine my shock when my co-worker said that she hates the Olympics. She actually hates them. She's not indifferent to them, which I could maybe be okay with, but actually hates them. I couldn't (and still can't) wrap my mind around this. She doesn't get why it's so cool, and even said, "What's the big deal getting a Gold Medal? Everyone has one. Every four years people get more." As my boss and I tried to reason with her, she became more and more convinced the Olympics were stupid.

If you are shaking your head in disbelief as you read this, and feeling a bit frustrated, then you know how I felt at work today. So I proudly declare that I love the Olympics. I love the pride I feel in my country when watching. I love that for two weeks the world comes together and we compete and share what we love. I love that I feel connected to the world around me during the Olympics. The Olympics are Awesome with a capital A.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com