Thursday, July 2, 2009

Walk to the Movie

I get a bit stir-crazy during the day. I don't have a job (yet) and I don't have a car. Today I decided to not let either bother me and head out to the dollar theater. I chose to see X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and even though the movie was less than stellar (thank goodness I waited to see it when I only had to shell out a dollar) the real joy came from my mode of transportation: walking. It's something I used to do on a daily basis in New York but now I rarely do (unless you count walking to the car, which I don't). And I realized that I really miss walking.

The dollar theater I went to is really close to where my sister lives. I'd guess it's as far away as my apartment was from the nearest subway stop, maybe a titch farther. Here's the map; it's .9 miles but is actually less because I short-cutted through the back going left when the map goes right to 1470 West.


View Larger Map

Not only do I miss walking, but I miss New York--the City. One of my favorite things to do in the City was going to the movie theater at 68th and Broadway--the Lincoln Center AMC Theater--and exiting to the wonders of the city. On more than one occasion I'd walk out and be hit with, "Wow! I live in New York City!" I still have moments of incredulity when I think, "Wow! I lived in New York City!" So as I walked out of the movie theater today, and instead of skyscrapers and taxis was bombarded with mountains and endless sky (and cars), I thought how nice it is to be able to have experienced both. I love New York and will forever be grateful and amazed that I lived there.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com