Sunday, October 12, 2008

Take the Cannoli: Part II

I'm just gonna put it out there: I didn't like Part II, and it was not better than the first. Maybe the expectations were too high, but when everyone from critics to regular ol' movie lovers say it's better than the first one, I had reason to have high expectations. And yes, I've suffered from the too-much-expectation-that-can-never-be-lived-up-to before, but let's not forget that I went into The Godfather with those sames expectations and came out of it being amazed and wowed beyond what I even thought possible. How could this one have fared so miserably beside its counterpart? How could I have been waiting for it to end, shuffled in my seat numerous times, almost fell asleep, let my mind drift to thoughts of my lost barrette?

First off, it was excruciatingly long. It started at 8:40, had a fifteen minute intermission (at which point I was told the first half was just set up for the amazing second half and I said, "Two and a half hours of set-up?! It better be a darn good pay off!" It wasn't.), and ended at 12:20. I can handle long movies, as long as I'm not feeling every minute of it. I felt every second of Part II.


I kept waiting for something to happen. Something as amazing as Don Corleone being gunned down in the street, Michael going to the hospital, Sonny and his curly hair, Michael coming out of the bathroom, Connie and Carlo fighting, Sonny getting gunned down on the road. But nothing but a lot of talking, and more talking, and positioning, and an occasional scene of excitement, followed by more talking. I waited four hours for something to make me as excited, scared, on-edge, nervous, awed as I was by The Godfather. It never happened.

I get what the story's doing in Part II--the whole paralleling of Vito and Michael and how the power corrupts Michael into destroying both his families while Vito kept the family intact--but it just wasn't compelling enough for me. Plus confusing editing and a score that was loud and in-your-face and a distraction. And no emotional core, no great arc. Maybe I just want something more than the subtleties of power corrupting one man. Like some shoot-outs, some blood, some excitement, moments that make me gasp out loud.

But Robert De Niro as the young Vito Corleone was a revelation. His flashback scenes were beautifully photographed and had depth. Man, was he young!
My, "Eh, Part II, I could take it or leave it," look after the movie.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com