Monday, October 27, 2008

A Day Ruled by Murphy

You know what Murphy I'm talking about; the one who Murphy's Law was named after, the law that say "Anything that can go wrong will go wrong." That pretty much sums up the first part of my day.

I didn't have to work til 12:30 so I thought I'd run a few errands before going to the Crew--post office and the library. But when I got to the Subway entrance at 137th it was blocked off, apparently closed. This was not upsetting; it was a nice day so I'd just walk to the next station. I could go to either 145th or 125th, but since I needed to go downtown thought I would walk to 125th even though it was farther. I get down there and see a sign that says downtown 1 trains are running express from 145th to 96th. So now I have to ride the train uptown to 145th where I can get out and transfer to the other side for a downtown 1. A little frustrating, but I could handle it.

I make it to 66th street and decide that even though I'm a little strapped for time I'll still try to get the post office and library done. I walk to the post office first. All I need to buy is two stamps. I have exactly 84 cents in my pocket ready for the stamp vending machine. There's a long line and I think Suckers! as I make my way to the vending machines. They're closed behind those accordion-like doors they have for overflow in the chapel. I definitely don't have the time to stand in line, and the people at the Automated Postal Centers all seem to be not in a hurry.

I leave, thinking I'll just go the Post Office close to work on my lunch break. I can still at least make it to the library a few blocks away and pick up True Romance (not a love story, but a Tarantino-esque film that a friend has been after me to see for like two years now). After accidentally turning down the wrong street and getting caught in some construction detours, I make it to the library...and realize that it doesn't open til 12:00. It is 11:50. I don't have time to wait as I'll be late for work. Now I'm carrying around the books I had meant to return in my purse all day...and it's heavy.

Lunch finally came and I was excited to get some fruit from the deli down the street. I go up to pay and realize that I don't have my wallet. I part of me was secretly hoping that the guy would tell me I could still have it, that I looked nice enough and hungry enough that this one would be on the house. He didn't say that. I left with nothing.

At least my time at work wasn't awful, too, or that would've been unbearable. It was boring and slow, but that's better than having rude customers or mean bosses. And the day was saved by a celebrity sighting. Felicity herself, Keri Russell, was in the Crew today. I'm a big Felicity fan so I was pretty excited when I was told she was there. I tried to play it cool, purposely putting myself in the area she was browsing in. I stood behind her for a second as she was looking at some socks. I wanted so badly to say something to her, even just ask if I could help her with a size, something I'd do for any customer, but was pretty sure I'd turn into a giddy school girl. So I just watched her from the register, hoping I'd be there when she was ready to check out. She ended up going upstairs and paying for her things there, but it was still a very cool day. Imagine what I'd do if Buffy ever came into the Crew?!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com