Friday, October 17, 2008

I Heart NYPL

That would be the New York Public Library. I've come to realize it's one of the greatest things for a poor New Yorker who likes to read. My bookshelf is full, and I can't really afford to buy every book I want to read anyway. So discovering this has been quite beneficial to the wallet.

I first discovered the library, or, I should say, one of the libraries, as New York City has many libraries not just in Manhattan but in all five boroughs, when I first moved here and needed a place to get internet access on my laptop. It was at the branch at Lincoln Center that I sent many a resume, e-mail and bill. Now, this library sits conveniently across the street from my favorite Barnes and Noble in the city (and the temple). I often go to that Barnes and Noble if I'm looking to waste time, just want to look around, and one time I even read an entire book (in a couple of visits).

But the library lets me get all the books--and movies--that I want for free! It really is quite fantastic. And there's a branch pretty much in any neighborhood. I can browse for books and movies on line, put them on hold, and then when they become available I go pick them up at the branch of my choosing. Wow, convenient. Let me remind you, though, that there are two million people in Manhattan alone, so sometimes the wait can be kind of long, especially for the most popular books. One movie that I have on hold I'm number 516 out of 600. But I also just picked up two on Thursday that I only had to wait a week for.

I've chosen to really embrace this library discovery of mine because the headphones for my i-pod broke, and instead of buying new ones I've decided to use my time on the subway to do something useful. I don't read when I'm home, usually, and what better time to do it than when I have nothing else really to do. It's amazing how much faster the subway ride seems when I'm reading as opposed to just listening to music; it seems that in no time I've reached my destination and am bummed because not only do I have to go work now but I also have to stop reading! I read To Kill a Mockingbird in just five days of subway riding, and was time well spent. Now I just need to get a bigger bag to hold my lunch, change of shoes, lip gloss, camera, and BOOKS!

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com