Sunday, February 28, 2016

2016 Oscars: My Picks

It's Oscar Sunday! I look forward to this every year and relish the lead up to it, which includes going to the movies a lot.

This year there are 8 Best Picture nominees (I still sorta wish the Academy would go back to the traditional 5...). I got around to seeing all 8 of them, and even wrote reviews for all of them. You can read them here (in order of me seeing them).

My personal favorite is Brooklyn. I adore literally everything about this film. It's not going to win Best Picture, and that's fine. As long as something else I like wins, like Spotlight or The Big Short. Wouldn't if be cool if the summer-release-huge-crowd-pleaser The Martian won?! 

Best Picture: I'm still betting/hoping for Spotlight to win, but it seems as if The Revenant is making a huge push for frontrunner. I'm slightly indifferent about The Revenant and think it would be odd for the Academy to award Best Picture (and Director, for that matter) to the person who won last year. I like Alejandro G. Inarittu, and last year I thought his win for Birdman was well-deserved. Not the case this year though.

Best Actor: Leo pretty much has this locked down, one of those "He deserves it" award years. It's how Al Pacino won for Scent of a Woman and not The Godfather. I'm really fine with this, but do want to note how much I would love for Fassbender to win for Jobs. 

Best Actress: It would be lovely if Saoirse Ronan won this category, but she won't. Brie Larson gives a great performance and will likely be the winner tonight. Thankfully it will not be Jennifer Lawrence. I like her, I really do, but she seems to becoming this generation's Meryl Streep - nominated for anything and everything she's in.

Best Supporting Actor: I've seen all the nominees in this category.Stallone is the sentimental favorite, playing Rocky Balboa forty years after the first time. I was at first really against this, as sentimental wins sometimes bother me (I have to say sometimes because it doesn't bother me that much in Leo's case this year; this is not a science, just my feels dictating). But yesterday I watched Creed and followed it up with Rocky, and I am now okay with this win. Some day, though, it's going to finally be Mark Ruffalo's turn to win; he's been turning in stellar performances for years and deserves to be recognized.

Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet hands down. I've only seen two of the performances in this category (Rachel McAdams being the other), but only Kate winning will bring a Jack and Rose reunion. Kate and Leo are legit friends and have been fun to watch this awards season as they each win. Nothing would make me more happy than to have them both on the cover of Entertainment Weekly's Oscar issue, clutching their Oscars.




0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com