Saturday, February 13, 2016

My Mom Came To Texas

My mom was in Texas earlier this week. I decided she needed to come out and visit me, but thought I needed some reason. So I checked the Jazz's schedule and discovered that they would be in Texas playing the Mavericks right around her birthday, which is February 5. I decided to combine Christmas and her birthday into one big present - a trip out to Texas and a Jazz game!

She arrived early Monday morning and we headed straight to Fort Worth to check out the famous Stockyards. We got there right as the first cow herd down Exchange St was getting ready to start. Then we took a guided tour of Fort Worth, which is a pretty cool town with lots of "old west" history. Fort Worth was once a major player in the cattle drive from southern Texas north to Kansas, and it was really neat hearing all the history. My mom, who grew up on a "spud farm in Idaho" and whose dad was a farmer, loved all of it.




We had dinner and ice cream in Denton (obviously Beth Marie's would make an appearance; anyone who visits me must get local ice cream).

Before heading down to Dallas for the day, I took her into City Hall to meet some of my coworkers. We rode the train down to Dallas and headed first to the Sixth Floor Museum, which back in November 1963 was the Book Depository and was the employer of Lee Harvey Oswald. It was from a sixth floor window of that building that he shot and killed President Kennedy. The building is now a museum, and it's extremely well done. It takes you on a tour of not just the assassination, but provides background on his presidency, the state of the nation and world, and the aftermath that followed. 

Once finished with the museum tour, we headed down to the street. The roadway is marked with two Xs where Kennedy was shot. The street is surrounded by Works Progress Administration structures and is quite beautiful.


 




We then walked over to Reunion Tower and went to the top to check out some spectacular views of the DFW Metroplex.


We had pizza at Campisi's before walking over to the game. The Jazz trailed for much of the game, at one point by 15 points. We struggled with getting over that 5 point deficit. But then we did, and the game went into overtime. The Jazz came out victorious and it was awesome. Merry Christmas and Happy Birthday, mom!


And then she left Wednesday morning. I love having people come visit me.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com