Saturday, February 20, 2016

45 Years

Since I've seen all the Best Pic nominees, I decided to branch out and catch some films that include a Best Actress/Actor but aren't nominated for Best Pic. This brought me again to the Angelika to see 45 Years. Charlotte Rampling is nominated for her role as Kate Mercer, a woman dealing with a newly discovered secret about her husband the week of their 45th wedding anniversary party.

I wanted to like this movie, but I did not. I found Kate's reaction to her husband incredibly cold and unnecessary. Before Kate and her husband, Geoff, met and married he had a girlfriend. Turns out she died during a hiking excursion, and her body has just been found (it was encased in ice if I remember correctly....). Geoff is slightly upset about this revelation, which I think is understandable. Kate, however, overreacts. This relationship occurred before Kate and Geoff even knew each other, and yet she takes incredible offense to it. I would think after 45 years of marriage she would be less insecure about the relationship and marriage.

There could be legitimate reasons for Kate to act this way, but I felt like those reasons weren't in the movie.

0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com