Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Two Days in KC

Monday and Tuesday I was in Kansas City for the Transit Midwest Conference, a gathering of the Region 7 transit providers and other affiliated people. It was held at the Intercontinental Hotel in the Plaza district. Conferences involve name badges, free bags, food, mingling, and attending seminars. Sometimes I still can't believe that people take me seriously as a working professional.

On Monday my boss and I took a tour of the KCATA facilities. I'm such a nerd and was totally enthralled by everything I was seeing and learning. The Kansas City area is larger than Salt Lake, however Salt Lake has light and heavy rail whereas KC just has bus. However they are coordinating transit services between two states and various other agencies, while UTA has control over the entire Wasatch Front. Topeka is tiny compared to the two.

There were a few free moments during the lunch hour when I had time to get outside and explore KC. Even though it was muggy and awful, I was happy to be out of the hotel and outside. I love busy streets and local shops and people walking around. The Plaza is a district sort of like City Creek, except that it's spread across multiple streets and isn't connected like a mall like City Creek.

I walked around with my conference badge and bag, and thoroughly enjoyed the city I was visiting. Whenever I was in downtown Salt Lake and would see people walking around with their conference name badges and bags I always hoped that they were enjoying Salt Lake. It's weird to think I'm doing that now.

The hotel also had some pretty awesome art and furniture, which made being in dreary conference rooms without windows somewhat bearable.

My dad managed hotels when I was little, and we spent a lot of time in them. We even lived in one for a few months when we first moved to Pocatello.  Because of that I'm slightly fascinated with hotels. I love staying in hotels when I travel. And I guess I'll start liking them for conferences, too, since that is why I'll likely be using them these days.


0 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com